Affiliate Disclosure: We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
- What prompted you to seek office? What is your personal initiative?
“I was informed that 2 and possibly 3 seats on the board were opening up. I’m always looking for more ways to be involved in our schools. My personal initiative is to do what I can to get our schools back to the top in the state.”
- What has been your personal involvement with education in our community? Are you a member of the PTA? If so, which one (elementary, middle, high school, or all 3)?
“I’m typically in each one that my kids attend. Currently I am not signed up but that will change. My wife is a former officer on the middle school PTA and I help contribute to any event that I can. Not sure that I will sign up for WVMS this year, but will for WVES and WVHS since that is currently where I have kids.”
- What makes you stand out among the other candidates? What special attributes, talents, and abilities will you bring to our district?
“I have kids that are in all stages and aspects of the school. Between myself and my siblings we have kids that have all different ages, interests and learning abilities. 2 have graduated and 11 more going through at this time from Pre-K – JR. We have kids that have interests in athletics, music, chess club, kids with IEPs etc I can relate to most situations and difficulties we as parents face.”
- What are the most important issues in your race and how do you plan to address them?
“I really don’t have any ‘issues’ I want what is best for the kids, the school and the community as a whole. Accountability and transparency seems to be a big thing for a lot in the community, so that is what they will get from me.”
Government, Finance & Operations
- What experience do you have with complicated budgets? When you are given a budget for the district, shat will be your process to determine if it is a good budget for the Walton-Verona Independent School District?
“I run my own business so not only do I have to run a personal budget and finances I do have a business budget that I deal with as well. I also run the youth football league and have to help oversee that budget as well. The school district, youth football and my business are all businesses and they need to be ran like that. I have no problems calling out what I see as unnecessary expenses etc.”
- WVISD appears to be a fast-growing community in Northern Kentucky. That means larger enrollment and an increased need for special services. With that growing population (i.e. speech, occupational therapy, physical therapy, crisis counseling, behavior coaching, etc.) How can the district afford these specialized services and will other programs need to be cut? How will these needs affect your philosophy on tax increases to generate revenue?
“As a growing community our revenue should increase at the same time to help offset these expenses. An increase in taxes would be a VERY last resort.”
Performance, Outcomes & Equity
- What is your philosophy of special education?
“Every child deserves the right to succeed. Having children that have used speech therapy, and are on or have been on IEPs this is very near and dear to me.”
- Do you believe that art and music are part of a quality education, and if so, what do you plan to do to make sure these programs remain in our schools?
“The Arts, clubs and athletics are all a major part of an education system as a whole. It saddens me to hear of other districts across the country cutting these programs. I will do whatever is necessary to make sure they all stay around and are affordable. Not sure why athletics were not part of this question but I added it since all extracurricular activities that are offered. Clubs, Sports, Music, and Art.”
Independence of Thoughts & Actions
- What specific steps would you take as a school board member to improve transparency and make school district information more widely available?
“Unless I’m sleeping my phone is always on me. Communication and availability is a major role in my career. My phone number is 859-462-2096 anyone can call or text me during reasonable hours, and even odd hours if they give me a heads up!”
- What specific actions will you take to increase the role of parents in decision making and promote parental involvement in schools? Please include how you will represent out of district students’ interests.
“Parental involvement boils down to the parents willingness and availability to be around. To me a student is a student “out of district” or “in district” I will be looking at what is the best for every student, not just a particular group. What is the best for the majority?? Not my kids, not your kids, but what is best for ALL KIDS!”
- In what ways are you reaching out to the business community to build their support for quality public school?
“I have not reached out to business community to build their support currently. Most of our businesses in the community are very supportive our schools in my opinion, as a business owner in the community I’m sure I can help set a standard and get others to follow in my footsteps of support.”